Thursday, 16 April 2015

Another skirt from Burdastyle 2/2010


Hello,

You might recognise this skirt as I have made one previously in
opposite colourways!
I blogged it here


I like the red and blue combination and thought it would go nicely with 
my new top here which is also from the same issue
of burdastyle



Just in case I forgot who made it a embroidered a little note to myself inside!





thanks for visiting

Jolanda 

Tuesday, 14 April 2015

Home made stretch stay tape




Hello everyone

One thing I forgot to mention in my last post was
the method I used for hemming a quite stretchy knit.

Uusually a twin needle does the trick but this time it kept
missing stitches and looked very messy.

I read somewhere about using a fusible stretch stay tape in the hem,
but knowing I wouldn't be able to buy any here I though I would make some of my own,
It's much cheaper too!

I laid the stretch interfacing out on the cutting mat and cut strips of 1.5cm.  I did quite a few
extra and wound them onto a piece of card for later.


I simply ironed the strips onto the inside of the hem and then
turned it up and stitched.
The hem came out really flat and very nice looking
I will certainly try this out again.

I think you can just about see what I mean on the hem - sorry for bad photo


Bye for now

Jolanda

Sunday, 12 April 2015




Hi Everyone,

This is a little dress made from Burda 9/2013
The original pattern has sleeves and I've modified the skirt by slashing and spreading
to make it a little fuller.


I originally bought this fabric and half made a top with it, but soon realised
its not really me! so somehow I managed to get a dress and a pair of knickers
out of it!


Don't know where the green came from!?!


The baby knickers are from a Knipmode magazine in the 90's



And now for some selfish sewing!
Another stripy top for me - I really don't need anymore
stripes, but it has become a bit of an addiction


This pattern is from Burda 2/2010
My first top from this pattern is here


I've left the neckband showing and quite like this look.
The jersey is a bit more stretchy than the previous top so fits a 
little differently but still a good fit - if a little bit too low
at the front!! nothing that a vest top won't fix.



That's all for now folks!

have a good week

Jolanda 

Sunday, 22 March 2015

Why does my camera hate red??


I am currently in the process of making a red jersey dress; 
the fabric is slinky and so stretchy.
The stretch should be good but as the fabric is heavy it seems to be stretching
too much, especially round the neckline.
I'm going to have to unpick :(, but
I'm not sure how I am going to solve this problem.



The pattern is from Knipmode 10/2013

I'm sure this will be a really nice dress in the end.



Sadly you can't really see the detail on the front as all my cameras hate red!!!

Bye for now, I'm off to sit on the settee with my best tool, the unpicker!!!

Jolanda x

Sunday, 1 March 2015



Good Morning,

I had a great weekend..... sewing of course!

from my favourite issue of Burda Style (2/2010) again.



This believe it or not is the stripy top pattern #122.
I find that Burda patterns are very wide across the shoulders and therefore low at front, 
so I extended the pattern pieces by 3cm at the neckline.
I did have to make  small adjustments on the sleeve seams to running up to the neckline as it was too wide.


I now have a very comfortable top that isn't going to fall off my shoulders and show my bra straps.

Even the back neck doesn't gape!





A couple of weeks ago I made this Burda Style (7/2014) top #114


No adjustments were needed with this one.  
I love the pattern on this fabric.


I spend Sunday with my daughter helping her make her dress
She is laughing not crying in this photo!
Hopefully soon I will be able to show you a photo of the finished dress, it is looking really good so far!


Bye for now

Jolanda x

Saturday, 24 January 2015

a long time absent!




I was a bit shocked to realise exactly how long I have been away from blogging!

Time passes so quickly, I spend too much time looking at everyone else's blogs and neglecting my own.

So here's a bit of what I have done in my absence:

This green top was supposed to be for September's Magam.
Although it doesn't look like it! I was very pleased with it... that is .. until I washed it.
It shrunk at least 20cms in length!!! 
the width stayed exactly the same so the whole thing was a mess.
I had to buy another panel and insert it under the bust and make the under collar/bust straps shorter.
I was very disappointed about this as the result isn't really good at all, its ok under a cardigan to hide the new panel, so I suppose I may wear it occasionally.




But now to something perfect!!
My first grandaughter arrived in October, oooh she is so tiny and cute.




This is me with my mum, daughter and 3 week old grandaughter - 4 generations of girls!!




Here are few of my makes for craft fairs







A log cabin quilt I made a few years ago.

I'm getting back into quilting now - I find it so enjoyable



That's it for now

Hopefully I should be back very soon!!!

Jolanda

Monday, 1 September 2014

lovely red skirt



This is my make for the August MAGAM challenge.
Made from red twill/drill (not sure what the difference is)



 I thought it would be too plain without any extras, so I put some navy twill on the edges of the pockets and lined the pocket facing and waistband facing with contrast fabric.  I can't stop looking in my pockets!!
I added the belt loops after and fixed them on with a button.
The skirt is a bit creased in the photos but I had been out cycling and the skirt stood up to that, in the rain too!
I think I am going to wear this one a lot!

Bye for now

Jolanda x